This milk bottle was owned by Merville Dairy
The Merville Dairy collected milk in bulk from farmers, processed it and delivered it. Originally milk was delivered ‘loose’, poured into customers’ containers from vats on the truck, but this was phased out in favour of bottles by the 1930s. Eventually Merville was amalgamated into Premier Dairies, and the horse-drawn floats were phased out.
Visit the ‘Critical Past’ website to view agricultural scenes in 1950’s Ireland: