Jammet’s was the only French restaurant in Dublin for many years
The place where all of Dublin wanted to eat, and few could afford, Jammet’s opened in 1901 on Andrew’s Street, but moved to Nassau Street in 1927, where it continued to dazzle until 1967.
In “Dublin’s only French restaurant” – a claim sustained for 40 years – W.B. Yeats had his own table, Hilton Edwards and Micheál MacLiammóir were regulars, and visitors ranged from Laurel and Hardy to Walt Disney and Ronald Reagan. The drawing is by the artist Seán Ó Sullivan.
With thanks to Michael Maughan
Watch footage of Dublin in the 1930’s and 1940’s: